Thursday, February 24, 2011

February came and (is almost) gone

The weather is getting warmer and my students are gradually becoming crazier.  The warm weather has brought upon 4th grade: relationships, disrespectful behavior and chatting (and chatting and chatting and chatting.)  I have a lot of days where I feel really great about my career, school and students and then I have days (like today) where I feel stressed out, anxious, and isolated.  I have great support at school but the pressure put upon teachers cannot be described to a non-educator.  I absolutely enjoy what I do, however, something needs to be done about our workload and compensation.

Today I had my third and final observation.  I was told yesterday that my principal needed to fit me in before this Friday so we could discuss what I needed to improve by April for my summative.  I understand that it was necessary to do that, BUT, she came into my classroom with one of our PD instructors from a workshop we completed a couple weeks ago.  Now, I knew that we were going to be observed by this instructor-but seriously did she need to come in to observe when I was getting observed by my principal.  That is double stress!  The reason why the instructor came in was to make sure we were implementing what was said during the workshop.  I usually am not intimidated by anyone, however, having two strong women in the back of my room whom I admire was very stressful.  In addition, they were whispering and of course watching each step I was doing.  Out of my colleagues, of course I was the only one that was observed by both women.  I'm going to discuss this with my mentor tomorrow but it was something that I needed to get off my chest.

In other news, I'm thinking about what is going on in Wisconsin daily.  They are fighting for their rights to collectively bargain-somehting i wish we could do in North Carolina.  I truly think we are going to be pushed and pushed and pushed until we are going to pop.  NC teachers have not gotten a salary increase in 4 years.  I cannot support a family with the money I am making.  I love the education field but really need to reconsider what I want to do with my life because I do not see teaching improving in the near future-unless we put up a strong fight!!!  In solidarity with Wisconsin workers!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment