Friday, September 17, 2010

Almost 25 days later....

Phew!  The last several weeks have been a whirlwind of emotions.  There has been anxiety, stress, exhaustion, happiness....the list could go on.  The first day of school (and the first week) were terrific.  I can confidently say that I laid out my rules, procedures, and expectations from the first minute my students walked into my classroom.  I have tried my very best to remain consistent so I do not end up with a discipline problem.  4th graders love to talk and talk back so it has been different from my experience in 2nd grade.
At my school we are switching blocks for different subjects areas, which has thrown the kids off completely.  I think after we all get into a routine it will become a wonderful experience for all of us (hopefully).  In the beginning of the year we had to wait for formal assessments to group our students so the students switched to a different teacher each day.  I did not like that!  I don't think the students did either.  After we begged the principal she decided to group them by ability group and teacher recommendation.  So, the literacy groups I have right now I have only had for 1 solid week.  I feel like I still need to build a foundation and relationship with them before we can start learning like my homeroom class has.
I hope to write more in here after the wedding.  With beginning of year procedures and wedding planning I feel very overwhelmed.  Until next time, have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment